Social Security Number Debate

What can people do if they get your social security number (SSN)? For example, I’ve published my SSN # many times online for so many years. So, I wonder, will something happen to me? What will happen to me? What has happened to you? What can people do with your SSN that they cannot already do without it?

1 Like

I fired a guy one time for working under a different social security. Apparently he was illegal, though I would never have suspected it. He spoke fluently with no foreign sounding accent. He thought I would think it was funny I guess and tried to joke about it with me. He had purchased the information of another person and was working under their name. Their social, name, birthday, etc… fired his ass and reported it.

He collected a paycheck and lied on his W-2. The amount of problems he likely created for that person just with the IRS was insane. Not to mention the credit cards and bank account.

They can do quite a bit with it man. I had a friend who had to fight through all kinds of crap for 2 or 3 years, mostly with creditors, because someone had gotten hold of his info and opened up a bunch of accounts.

0 Likes

I do not understand why or how a victim can be punished like that.

0 Likes

First of all, @joeyarnoldvn don’t put yourself in a position to be the victim.
Second of all, you are a number, the problems associated with that number are your problems…welcome to the matrix.

0 Likes

They can throw me in jail. I will happily go to jail. If I end up in jail someday, then take note that I was framed. Oh wait, that already happened in 2012.

0 Likes

1 Like

Besides, King Arthur was my 41st great grand uncle, allegedly, meaning I am like a king, I am like royal.

0 Likes

Really? How nice.

So your ass’ness, when you leave for jolly 'ole England to claim your throne?

For the record, my lineage dates back to the Wallace family. Our family thinks the Brits suck sheep testicles!

Bas Agus Buaidh!

2 Likes

Then you need some education, or you are just being difficult.

Who do you think is the victim being punished? The person who stole the identity?

1 Like

3 Likes

The second one…it’s annoying.

Joyful is the person who finds wisdom,
the one who gains understanding.
Proverbs 3:13
[resteemed yesterday]

0 Likes

Hey, well Sasquatch is my Daddy

3 Likes

3 Likes

For the record, I’m a verified member of both the Sons of the American Revolution (from 2 lineages) and The Mayflower Descendants Society.

Other family connections lead to Walt Whitman, Horace Greeley, Toni Tennille (of Captain and Tennille), Dorothy Thompson (first American journalist to be ejected from Germany by Hitler) the leading suspect in the Black Dahlia murder, and a possible connection to Uncas, The Last of the Mohegans (not to sound like Sen. Warren).

3 Likes

LOL, what a family!

Well, I’ve found through Ancestry at least 2 of mine fought in the Civil War on my dad’s side, but haven’t been able to get past about 1800. The Wallace connection is on my father’s mother’s side, the same side I found two slave owners I must admit.

Also on my mother’s side is my grandfather’s uncle who is the one responsible for the death of the author of “Gone with the Wind”, Margaret Mitchell. He was the taxi driver that hit and killed her, by accident while drunk down in Atlanta on Peachtree St.

Our family doesn’t talk about the member who was hung for horse theft, also on my mother’s side.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have a bunch of suicides, murders, and two that were “run out of town”–but none are my direct ancestors. Also, I just remembered a few more connections: Sinclair Lewis, George Francis Abbott, Coal Oil Johnny and one of the doctors to attend to Lincoln on his death bed. I have 16,831 individuals on my main tree and it goes as far back as the 1500’s with the Mayflower pilgrims.

1 Like

I’ve dabbled with Ancestry a bit several years ago. Took my mother’s side all the way back to past William Wallace to his grandfather back in about 1000AD. The Wallace family is heavily documented so lots of connections in the historical record. I’m guessing there is by now about 2 gazillion Wallace family connections. The line is tainted here and there with some Irish and English dare I say.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get past two brothers on my father’s side who moved from Kentucky to Tennessee back in 1800. Names with no middle names doesn’t help at all, so I haven’t been able to verify which one is their father and there are several candidates. The most likely one is from North Carolina then he moved to Kentucky.

1 Like

Have you tried FamilySearch.org? It’s free and a little different than Ancestry although they do share records. Ancestry has members create individual trees that you can share details of with other members whereas, FamilySearch attempts to create one tree that multiple members connect to through their line.

3 Likes

No, I haven’t, I’ll check it out. :+1:

OOOH, this is the LDS records. I knew of them, but never did access their records. Didn’t know they have a website now.

0 Likes

So f-ing STUPID!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like